My Thoughts On Spirit Bound by Richelle Mead

11 June 2015

SHOW BOOK DETAILS (CLICK HERE)

Richelle Mead went above and beyond in Spirit Bound, managing to incorporate at least three major plotlines into one incredible novel. I've said before that Mead is possibly one of the best authors out there, but this book definitely reaffirmed that belief when she decided to continue writing where most other authors would have left off. The huge plot twist that happens about halfway through this novel would have made for a fantastic ending, but Mead decided to go one step further and close this book in a way that I certainly wasn't expecting. I wish I could mention more without spoiling anything, but believe when when I say that the shock factor in this novel is pretty high, and the significant plot twists make for an interesting experience.

Blood Promise changed Rose in ways that none of us can even begin to comprehend, and while she still clings to the stubborn, immature parts of her old self, there's definitely a significant difference in her entire attitude and demeanor from when we were first introduced. Because of this change, I don't think she and Adrian are a good match. Though I originally wanted Mead to head down the Dimitri-Rose-Adrian love triangle route, I have to say that Dimitri becoming a Strigoi was not in the plan. His change complicated everything, and it's clear that Rose will never find peace until the problem is resolved one way or another. The only reason she's dating Adrian is for the sake of dating someone, and I don't like the way she's using him. Though she believes she has legitimate feelings for him, it's clear that her heart lies elsewhere - after all, it's obvious that she and Dimitri belong together. I just think the love triangle doesn't work at this point and wish Mead would have either incorporated it earlier, or ignored it completely. Nevertheless, I still thoroughly enjoyed this novel from start to finish.

Graduation is something I think we've all been waiting for alongside Rose and Lissa, and this novel finally sees the two of them head out into the big bad world and life at the roual court. The guardian trials themselves were interesting, especially after Rose realises that others in her group didn't get tested the same way as she did, though the reasoning behind it made a lot of sense - after all, Rose has already taken down too many Strigoi to count. Nevertheless, I wish there had been a little more to them, but I still think Mead did a lovely job of wrapping up the high school experience.

When it comes to the rest of the plot, there's not a lot I can say without spoiling anything, but with the reappearance of old characters, an overload of spirit information, a tragic murder that ruins several lives, and the possibility of an illegitimate sibling, this really is a fantastic novel. Though there are still a ton of loose ends that need tying up, I can safely say that Richelle Mead has nailed this series. There hasn't been a dull moment since the very first book and if you haven't already started it, know that it comes highly recommended from me. Last Sacrifice, here I come!