My Thoughts On Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

19 January 2015

SHOW BOOK DETAILS

I've read my fair share of angel books, but I have to say that Hush, Hush is the best by far. The combination of interesting characters, believable romance (as far as YA lit goes, at least), exciting plot, and a fast-paced writing style made this novel one of the best I've ever read. Becca Fitzpatrick is a great author with the ability to really pull you into her world. When I found out that this was her debut novel, I was... well, surprised would be an understatement. If her first book was this good, I can't wait to see the progress she makes as the series continues.

Hush, Hush tells the story of Nora Grey, a strait-laced high school student, and Patch, a mysterious transfer from who knows where. Patch is shrouded in mystery and when one of their teachers decides to implement a seating plan into his class, Nora's rocky relationship with Patch begins. Oddly enough, however, not long after Nora is forced to play nice with the dark, brooding stranger, someone - or something - starts following her. She feels eyes on her through her bedroom window, and when she hits a man wearing a black ski mask with her car, she freaks. Especially when he walks away without a scratch and the car is left flawless. After a string of events that prove the person in the ski mask is trying to kill her, Nora is close to believing that she's going insane. Who is behind the ski mask? And why does he want her dead? All the while, the signs are pointing to Patch...

I absolutely loved Nora. Though she's pretty innocent, as far as high school students go, her connection to Patch is far from innocent. Though their relationship barely started in this novel, I can imagine that Patch will bring out a side in Nora that none of us expect. He's dark, brooding, and shrouded in mystery, and despite what Nora believes, he's beyond dangerous. An angel cast out of heaven, what he's searching for may surprise you. Both characters are well-written and will complement each other perfectly as their relationship progresses. I just hope Patch doesn't lose his edge. Too often in YA lit does a "bad boy" end up being too influenced by his "good girl" female counterpart. But as long as Patch never gets boring, we're good.

Though Nora's attraction to Patch is a little sudden, it still felt realistic. She's drawn to him for reasons even she doesn't understand, and despite all the signs pointing at him, she doesn't believe he's the one stalking her. Their relationship progressed at a slow pace - such a breath of fresh air coming from these kinds of books - and felt real. I love the way Fitzpatrick writes romance (read sexual tension), and I can't wait to see how their relationship progresses.

Out of all the other characters, Jules was the only one that really piqued my interest. His mysterious disappearances whenever Nora and Vee joined him and Elliot were very suspicious, and I couldn't wait to find out what his problem was. His story takes a completely unexpected turn that shocked me to my very core. I definitely wasn't expecting that. Thinking back, however, all the little signs are there...

With enough mystery and action throughout, and a surprising twist at the end, Hush, Hush will have you hooked until the very last page. I found myself completely absorbed in the story and can't wait to dive into the sequel. Angels are a tricky creature to write realistically, but Fitzpatrick nailed it. This novel comes highly, highly recommended from me.