Ten (Mostly Classic) Books I'll Probably Never Read

5 May 2015

WHAT IS TOP TEN TUESDAY? (CLICK HERE) 

This week's topic is books we'll probably never read. My list this week consists mostly of classics that I really want to read one day, but will probably always be too intimidated by. Most people say nothing but good things about these novels, but they're so intimidating!



THE LORD OF THE RINGS BY J.R.R. TOLKIEN.
This trilogy is one that I've wanted to read for a very long time, despite not enjoying any of the movies. So many people rave about these books and I'd love nothing more than to experience them first-hand. Of course, the trilogy as a whole clocks in at over 1200 pages, so who knows if or when I'll ever feel confident enough to give it a shot.

LES MISERABLES BY VICTOR HUGO.
When the movie came out a few years ago, I remember everyone absolutely raving about it. Unfortunately, I've never had the inclination to watch it, instead preferring to wait and experience it in novel format first. The edition pictured here, however, is nearly 1500 pages long and that's enough to scare me off for a little while longer. I've heard some amazing things about this story, though, so we'll see what happens.

DRACULA BY BRAM STOKER.
Dracula is actually the only classic that I have ever owned, and while I did start reading a couple of years ago, I had to put it down in the end. The writing format is unusual and it took me a long time to start getting into it. Unfortunately, it was so much of a distraction that I still couldn't enjoy what I was reading. there's a possibility I'll try again in the future but I'm not counting on it.

WUTHERING HEIGHTS BY EMILY BRONTE.
In all honesty, I think my fascination with this novel stems from the fact that it's set in Yorkshire. Having lived close to the Yorkshire Dales for the last 23 years, obviously this whole area holds a special place in my heart. Aside from that, however, I've also heard some amazing things about this novel. There's actually a beautiful copy in my local bargain bookstore, but I'm too intimidated to buy it. Regardless of how many people love this book, I'm not sure I'll ever read it.

1984 BY GEORGE ORWELL.
Being a dystopia novel, it's clear why this novel is one that I want to read. Unfortunately, this book has such a huge reputation and everytime I think about reading it, I get too intimidated. It's not a long book by any stretch, but any book as famous as this deserves some major respect.




JANE EYRE BY CHARLOTTE BRONTE.
When it comes to classic literature, the Brontë sisters are among the most famous authors. Jane Eyre is a novel that even my non-reading friends have enjoyed and as it portrays a woman's quest for self-respect, I definitely would love nothing more than to read it. But what if I don't love it?

FRANKENSTEIN BY MARY SHELLEY.
Much like Dracula, this novel has been recommended to me so many times that I've lost count. Unfortunately, I'm not sure it's the book for me, despite how much I would appreciate reading it. This entire list consists of books that I'm intimidated by, but I'm just not sure I'm interested in Frankenstein at all.

LITTLE WOMEN BY LOUISA MAY ALCOTT.
One of the only reasons I actually want to read this novel is because of its reference in F.R.I.E.N.D.S. Much like Joey, I'm curious as to why Rachel loved it so much. Unfortunately, a couple of things did get spoiled in the episode, but if I ever do get around to reading it, I'm sure it won't matter. Besides, I'm not sure whether or not I'll ever pick up a copy.

THE BOOK THIEF BY MARKUS ZUSAK.
Stepping away from the classic literature now, The Book Thief is a novel that I've heard nothing but fantastic things about. Unfortunately, as I've mentioned before, books that receive nothing less than stellar feedback definitely scare me. Who knows, perhaps I'll give it a shot one day, but I can't see it happening any time soon.

THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO BY STIEG LARSSON.
The amount of times I've bought this novel and then gotten rid again is actually unreal. There is a part of me that wants nothing more than to read this book, but there's also a part of me that can't bring myself to do it. Knowing that this novel was originally written in a different language is what's putting me off, as I know things can get lost in translation that stop a book from truly being great. I've not heard much negative feedback of this book, but I know my tastes and I'm not sure a translated novel of this magnitude is for me.

So what books made it onto your list this week? Leave me the link to your post/video and I'll be sure to check it out. For now, happy reading!