My Top Ten Favourite Debut Novels

19 May 2015

WHAT IS TOP TEN TUESDAY? (CLICK HERE)

This week's topic is a freebie, so I chose to showcase my favourite debut novels. The majority of this list will consist of authors that haven't actually written anything else, but they're all awesome just the same.



HARRY POTTER & THE SORCERER'S STONE BY J.K. ROWLING.
To be perfectly honest, I think this novel would be on most everyone's list if this topic came up. J.K. Rowling is known for her Harry Potter series, even going so far as to write a novel under a secret alias to make sure it was her writing that people loved more than anything. Though I haven't read anything other than the Harry Potter series, I absolutely adore this book and will continue re-reading this series until I die. You can read my review here.

THE HUNGER GAMES BY SUZANNE COLLINS.
This is another debut novel that has completely blown up and set the bar high for YA dystopia. I don't think Suzanne Collins has written anything else, but if she has, let me know because I'd be interested in checking it out. Her writing is intense and her twists will keep you on the edge of your seat.

THRONE OF GLASS BY SARAH J. MAAS.
Despite having not even finished the series due to some financial worries, this debut blew me away. Maas's writing is incredibly beautiful, and this book deserves every single good word that is said about it. I'm very excited to get hold of a copy of her new book, A Court Of Thorns & Roses, just released this month. Seriously, Maas's writing is good enough for me to judge from one book.

CITY OF BONES BY CASSANDRA CLARE.
The Mortal Instruments is in my top three favourite series' of all time, and it all started with this book. Cassandra Clare has written a phenomenal world and I don't blame her for wanting to squeeze every last drop out of it. The Infernal Devices - a prequel trilogy released after The Mortal Instruments - was just as amazing, and I'm extremely excited for the other three series' she has been planning on writing in the Shadowhunter World. Clare's writing is extraordinary, and if you haven't checked out her work, I highly recommend you do. You can read my review of City Of Bones here.

TWILIGHT BY STEPHENIE MEYER.
I know I'm going to get a fair amount of stick for this one, considering the writing is awful, but I genuinely loved most of the books in this quartet. I first read them when I was just discovering YA fiction, and even though I didn't like Meyer's style, I thoroughly enjoyed the story itself. I've read this series multiple time, and I can safely say that it never gets old. I don't talk about the movies (except for the very last one - it surprised the heck out of me!) but I feel no shame saying that I enjoyed most of the books.



DIVERGENT BY VERONICA ROTH.
This became one of my top five favourite series' after what Roth did at the end of Allegiant, but I can safely say that the first book in the trilogy was by far the best. Roth has a beautiful writing style and her characters are definitely relatable. The development in Tris throughout the course of this book alone was enough to grant Roth a top spot on my favourite authors, but I can honestly say that I can't fault this trilogy at all.

GLASS HOUSES BY RACHEL CAINE.
Though I'm not entirely sure whether or not this is Caine's first novel, it's definitely the first under this particular alias - does that count? This YA vampire series is unique to its core and Caine has created a full cast of colourful characters with interesting backgrounds. Through the fifteen books in this series, we see unparalleled character development, as well as the progression of several different storylines. The romance was spot on, and though Claire and Shane's relationship didn't exactly start in this first book, the chemistry was always there. I genuinely adore this series with all my heart.

HUSH, HUSH BY BECCA FITZPATRICK.
Being the first novel in my absolute favourite angel series, this novel completely blew me away. The writing, the characters, the story... everything was written extremely well and I can safely say that I will read this series multiple times in the future. I was hanging onto the edge of my seat for the majority of this series, so if you haven't checked it out yet, I highly recommend you do. You can read my review of the first novel here.

VAMPIRE ACADEMY BY RICHELLE MEAD.
"Oh man, not another vampire series." That's what you're thinking, right? Believe me when I say that Vampire Academy breaks the mold. Mead's vampires are completely unique in the best possible way, and I absolutely love the mythology incorporated into these novels. The characters were relatable and I loved every single one of them. Unfortunately, I've heard terrible things about the movie, but I may still watch it one day, just to be sure.

POISON STUDY BY MARIA V. SNYDER.
Though this trilogy is only a recent favourite of mine, I love it all the same. Poison Study was probably the best in the bunch, however. Snyder introduced us to the story in a pretty unorthodox fashion, what with her heroine being set for execution and all, but the journey Yelena takes is an interesting one. I was hooked from the very first page and I can safely say that it fast became a top ten favourite. You can read my review of this novel here.

So there you have my top ten favourite debut novels! What topic did you choose? Leave me the link to your post/video and I'll be sure to check it out. For now, happy reading!