My Thoughts On Until I Die by Amy Plum

21 May 2015

SHOW BOOK DETAILS (CLICK HERE)

Amy Plum exceeded all of my expectations when it came to the first novel in this trilogy, Die For Me, and I'm happy to report that this sequel was just as good. Focusing on the events after Kate and Vincent destroyed Lucien, the leader of the numa, as well as the search Vincent and the others are undertaking for a way to free him from his compulsion to die, Plum has woven together a tale of danger and romance and created something unique and beautifully written.

Though I still don't feel connected to Vincent on any personal level, I still love the relationship between him and Kate. With any other character, his mannerisms would seem completely out of place, but Kate has what I like to call an old soul. Her take on romance tends to be quite old-fashioned in a lot of ways, so they really do seem as though they're made for one another. I don't know what's going to happen following the events at the end of this novel, but I can guarantee Kate is going to put up a fight. She's a very strong character and it really showed in this novel. Though her reckless sleuthing did have disastrous consequences, I do admire her courage.

Following Charles's recent suicide attempt, he and Charlotte have been sent to stay at one of Jean-Baptiste's safe houses to allow him to recuperate, so we don't really see a lot of them in this book. Instead, we're introduced to a couple of new characters, Violette and Arthur, ancient revenants that JB called in to help uncover what the numa are planning. Despite really disliking her to begin with, Violette did grow on me, though she definitely wasn't the fourteen-year-old girl her body would have you believe. Her interactions with some of the most basic parts of the modern world were beyond humorous and I loved her friendship with Kate. The way her story concluded in this novel came as a complete shock to me and I found myself in awe of Amy Plum's writing skills yet again. It takes a lot to surprise me, but she managed it flawlessly.

Arthur, on the other hand, was a character whom I just couldn't like, though I do believe that that was the point. He's very distant and cold, and after his outburst about Kate's humanity, there was no coming back for this guy. Despite discovering the truth about him, I don't think I'll ever be able to like Arthur. He's very old school, and though I think he and Georgia would make an interesting couple, I can't see it working. Of course, Plum has surprised me before, and I wouldn't put it past her to do it again.

The numa storyline was very interesting and I can't wait to see where Plum takes their plans next. Following the disastrous events during the final showdown of this novel, I'm quite worried that the numa are going to switch to all-out war tactics soon and there will definitely be casualties. I'm definitely expecting the final novel in this trilogy to be packed full of action and tension, with shadows lurking around every corner.

Overall, this was an absolutely fantastic sequel to an amazing novel, and I still can't get over how beautiful Amy Plum's writing is. Her descriptions are spot on and I never felt as though the story dragged. Though I do think her action scenes could use a little work, I'm excited to see what happens in the final novel. I have high hopes for the conclusion and I can't wait to dive in as soon as possible.