The This Or That Book Tag

29 May 2015

I'm here today with a tag that I found here. Unfortunately, I don't know who created the tag, so leave a comment if you know where it started! This tag consists of a series of "this or that" questions, completely relating to books.

Physical Copy Or E-book?

I'm definitely a physical book kind of girl, but not for the reasons a lot of people expect. I actually struggle reading on e-readers, so I generally stay away. If you want to hear more about my reasons behind steering clear of e-books, check out this post.

Audiobook Or Book In Hand?

In all honesty, I've never actually tried listening to an audiobook. I genuinely don't think I have the concentration span, though I am tempted to give one a shot one day. I know a lot of people swear by them.

Paperback Or Hardcover?

Being broke has always given me a great appreciation for the price of paperbacks, though I will admit that I prefer my hardcovers. Though paperbacks are, generally, much easier to read due to the weight and size, I don't like how beaten up they look after you read them a couple of times. It's okay for those people who never read books again (blasphemy!), but for me, hardcovers are better as they're more durable. Plus, they look beautiful on the shelf.

Adult Or Young Adult?

Though I do enjoy a lot of adult novels in my preferred genres, I'll always be a YA girl at heart. I have a few favourites from the adult urban-fantasy genre, however, so I'll never completely write off adult books.

Series Or Standalone?

Ah, this is a tough one. I always think standalones are too short, and half the time, they never fully satisfy me. It's hard to cram everything into one novel, and while I enjoy them because I can read them quickly, I definitely prefer books in a series, granted that the series isn't too long.

Dog-Ears Or Bookmarks?

Bookmarks! I was terrible for dog-earing my pages as a child and I actually ended up ripping my Harry Potter books to shreds because I read them so much. I learned my lesson, however, and anything less than pristine pages isn't good enough. Plus, you can get some super cute bookmarks (or make them yourself)!

Borrow Or Buy?

Though I definitely prefer buying books, I have been tempted to start utilizing one of the many libraries within driving distance from my house. They do have decent YA sections, according to their websites, but there's something about actually owning a book that pleases me. In all honesty, I'm a major mood reader, so I don't know if I'd be able to deal with library deadlines and such. Who knows, perhaps libraries are in my future, perhaps they aren't.

Bookstore Or Online?

I have a lovely little bargain bookstore in my area but they don't update their shelves very often. I refuse to buy books retail, so I generally end up shopping online.

Fiction Or Non-Fiction?

I've read my share of autobiographies in the past, but I definitely prefer fiction. I read to get away from real life, at the end of the day.

Fantasy World Or Real Life Issues?

I have no issues with realistic fiction, but I think I'll always prefer my fantasy worlds. Don't get me wrong, there are some fantastic novels out there that deal with real issues, but like I mentioned before, I read to get away from real life. 

Monster Read Or Short + Sweet?

The size of the book I read usually goes with my mood, so if I feel like I'm falling into a slump, I'll rarely pick up a book that's longer than 350 pages. Though I absolutely love huge books - and always feel so accomplished when I finish them - they always intimidate me. I think I prefer shorter reads, though I definitely wish this wasn't the case.

Starry-Eyed Romance Or Full Of Action?

I like balance, though I will admit that romance is a necessity when it comes to my reading choices. Nevertheless, I definitely prefer action-packed romances to starry-eyed ones. They're not realistic.

Curl Up With A Blanket Or Bathe In The Sun?

I enjoy both, though I will admit that I prefer reading indoors. After a while, the sun starts making me sleepy, so it's difficult to concentrate on what I'm reading. 

Read The Review Or Decide For Yourself?

Because I have to be so careful at the moment when deciding what books to buy (for financial reasons), I generally try and read a couple of spoiler-free reviews before making a purchase. This gives me a basic idea of whether or not I'll enjoy the book, as well as making me aware of anything I wouldn't like. I try not to read too many reviews, however, as problems always start making themselves known, preventing me from buying a novel I might otherwise have loved.

Zombies Or Unicorns?

Unicorns. I'm not a huge fan of zombies, and my other half is always getting annoyed because I won't watch The Walking Dead with him. They just don't interest me as much as other people. At the end of the day, the chances of you running into a rotting unicorn that eats brains are next to none, so I'll stick with the safe option.

If you want to do this tag, feel free, and please leave me the link to your post/video so I can check it out!